How to install outdoor porcelain tiles
The standard method of installing outdoor porcelain tiles uses a compacted stone sub base, bedding mortar, slurry and external grout.
- Mark out the patio area, then dig at least 150mm depth below the proposed height of the patio.
- Compact the sub base.
- Mix and apply the bedding mortar.
- Prime the outdoor porcelain tiles using slurry.
- Knock down the paving with a rubber mallet to secure.
- Pour outdoor grout over the tile joints using a wet or dry grouting method.
Installation on Gravel
Improve the look of a gravelled area with 20mm external porcelain tiles. Create a sense of luxury using clean white gravel / stone mixed in between Minster black tiles.
- Make sure the surface is compact and level.
- Lay the porcelain tiles in the desired position.
- Tap the tiles with a rubber mallet to eliminate any unevenness.
- Fill the gaps in between each tile with decorative gravel.
Installation on Grass
If you’re looking to create a pathway through your grassy garden area this may be the option for you. Installation on grass can be done in one of two methods:
Option 1: A direct option of laying the tiles directly on the grass and leaving a tile gap of 4 / 5 cm. This will allow the grass to still grow in between each tile. It’s an extremely quick and easy solution with a long lasting result, but will be dependent on soil movement.
Option 2: For greater stability, cover the ground with a 5 cm layer of gravel (4/8 mm diameter) or sand, then dry-lay the tiles on top.
Installation using a Raised Pedestal System
On outdoor patios, terraces, balconies or where under tile access is required, it is possible to build a raised level floor that still allows rainwater drainage, by using our recommended Pedestal Prime® system. This raised pedestal system featuring stackable, height adjustable pedestals can also be used to create a flat floor over a sloped surface, ensuring a perfectly levelled installation.
This system is an engineering masterpiece; unique, complex to design but simple to use, with multiple elements that integrate with each other in a single perfect assembly.
With the Pedestal Prime® supports you do not need additional rings, tubes or extensions as you may with other pedestal systems: the extension is already integrated. There are three different sizes of supports which adapt perfectly to the three bases, covering heights from 30mm to 420mm. Its ergonomic shape also makes it easy to adjust.
Advantages of using pedestals:
- Significant weight reduction on the structure due to elimination of concrete screed
- Ability to adjust the system to compensate for small differences in height and slope
- Excellent absorption of expansions
- Allows pipes and drainage systems to be hidden
- Speed of installation saves time and costs
- Environmentally friendly - fully recyclable components
- Dry laying means no adhesives orchemicals are needed
- Strong weight resistance, ensuring durability and safety
- Better sound insulation due to anti-slip and anti-noise components
- Better thermal insulation due to interspace between flooring and underlying membrane
View and buy all Pedestal Prime® products here. For more information on the features, benefits and installation of the Pedestal Prime® system, watch the Video and download our Installation Guide below.