Caring for your tiles
We've gathered some key information for you to keep your tiles looking fresh and new for years to come. Believe it or not, typical cleaners may have harsh chemicals that can errode the protective layer on your tiles and eat away at grout and sealer. Investing in the right cleaners will make your tiles last longer and make cleaning easier. No matter what material your tiles are made of there is a cleaner suitable for the job and we have some step by step guides to help you get the most out of these cleaning products.
We offer a range of care and maintenance products for different types of tiles including ceramic, porcelain and natural stone with all of our clean and care products part of the Lithofin Range.
Do's & Dont's
- Do use dedicated tile cleaners appropriate for your tile
- Do use clean materials (Cloths, Sponges, Wipes)
- Do use fresh water
- Do clean your tiles regularly
- If tiles are glossy, ensure all water residue is removed from the tile, as leaving it on the face of the tile will leave water spots
- Do clean the grout regularly as this will stop any staining
- Do test any new products in a small patch first, before applying to all of the affected area. For intensive treatments, test on a spare tile or discreet area first.
- Do make sure that any furniture is placed on plastic feet/removed from the tile in the wet conditions, to avoid rust spots.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals (such as bleach, Flash)
- Don’t use any harsh compounds for scratches
- Don’t use any acid washes for any residues left on the tiles as they could stain/mark the tiles or could even damage any chrome accessories in the room.
- Don’t apply sealer on top of sealer on top of sealer
- Don't use 'PINK STUFF' / 'SCRUB DADDYS' Products
- Don’t let anything sit on the surface of the tiles such as;
- Harsh chemicals / cleaners
- Heavy pigmented items (red wine / curry sauce etc)
- General day to day dirt, including mud, as over time it can get ingrained into the tile
Why use Lithofin Clean and Care products?
Lithofin have been offering cleaning, protection and maintenance products for over 50 years. Each specialised product is formulated for various tile types including ceramic, porcelain and natural stone.
Lithofin quick guide
Whatever your needs – sealing newly installed tiles, protecting grout, preventing stains, general maintenance or deep cleaning – there’s a Lithofin product for the task! Lithofin offer a comprehensive range of products which offer the following benefits:
- Dissolve limescale and water marks
- Lift dirt and stubborn stains
- Enhance natural colour
- Plus many more!
Lithofin products to maintain your tiles
Browse our dedicated cleaning products by Lithofin.
Remove Grout Residue
Lithofin: Cement Residue Remover
View & Buy
Remove Stains: Porcelain
Lithofin: Power Clean
View & Buy
Lithofin: Grout Protector
View & Buy
Sealing Porcelain Tiles
Lithofin: Protective Impregnator
View & Buy
Sealing Quarry Tiles
Lithofin: KF Stainstop
View & Buy
Below you will find some helpful guides from Lithofin. To find out more please visit their video gallery and check out the various videos they have on cleaning, and protecting your tiles.
Step-by-step guide: Removing grout residue from tiles
If grout has been left on the face of the tile for too long, it will create a “film” or “haze” on the tile which goes away when water is applied and will re appear once it dries. This is more than likely a cement “film/haze”. The way to combat this and get rid of it once and for all is to use Lithofin Cement Residue Remover. (Please note not suitable for some natural stones).
- Dilute the Cement Residue Remover in a clean bucket using clean water. (Dilution Ratio 1:4)
- Wet down the tiles with clean water then apply the diluted Cement Residue Remover with a clean mop or white pad. Alternatively use a soft bristled scrubbing brush.
- Go over the affected area a few times to allow the product to get full coverage.
- Leave to work and soak into the grout residue for about 10 minutes. Then re-agitate the solution.
- Rinse down with clean water and wipe down with a clean and dry cloth. If the problem still occurs, you can up the ratio to 1:15. Always test the product in the corner of the room to ensure that no damage to the face of the tile occurs.
Step-by-step Guide: Tile maintenance cleaning
General day to day cleaning of tiles is essential when it comes to keeping them looking clean and new. Daily stains, muck and general dirt can affect the aesthetic of the face of the tile if left long enough, which is why it’s essential to conduct maintenance cleans. Lithofin Easy Care is the product for the job.
- Fill a clean bucket with lukewarm water and add a small amount of Lithofin Easy Care to the water. (roughly 20ml per 10 litres of water) If the surface is especially dirty, add more product to the same amount of water.
- Apply the product to the surface of the tile with a clean mop/wipe or soft bristled brush.
- Allow the product to work for 10 minutes before rinsing with clean water.
- Buff any dry spots with a clean mop or cloth.
Lithofin Easy Care can be added to floor cleaning machines if necessary. Easy Care is only a maintenance cleaner and will not remove any deep stains. For tougher stains, we recommend either Lithofin Wexa / Lithofin MN Power Clean depending on the tile type.
Step- by-step guide: Removing stains & marks from tiles
Sometimes tiles get marked or stained with a lot of different types of dirt or other substances. Removing them can be tricky, but Lithofin have a select range of products available to aid in cleaning and removing stains. Two of the most common and most effective products a Lithofin Wexa and Lithofin Power Clean.
Note: Wexa can be used on most natural stones excluding Sandstone. MN Power Clean can be used for all natural and artificial stone including porcelain. Avoid splashing on sensitive areas such as wood / metal / painted surfaces when using both products.
- For Both Wexa and Power Clean / Wax Off, a dilution ratio of 1:10 is required.
- Fill a clean bucket with clean water and add the product into the bucket for dilution.
- Apply the product to the surface of the tile and agitate with a soft bristled brush.
- Leave to work for 10 – 15 minutes depending on the stain / dirt, but do not allow to dry.
- Brush again before rinsing with clean water.
If the stain still remains when using Power Clean, you can cut the ratio to 1:5. However, do not do this for WEXA - instead just repeat the process with 1:10 solution.
Step-by-step guide: Sealing tiles
Sometimes tiles arrive from the factory unsealed and are porous - mainly natural stone but some porcelain can also be affected by this. Lithofin have a wide range of sealers available and they are all applied in the same way as each other.
- The surface of the tile must be clean and free from any previous sealers / dirt and completely dry. A clean sponge / cloth / brush must be used when applying the sealer. Apply the sealer in the corner of the room to make sure that it does not react with the tiles.
- If the sealer does not react with the tiles, apply the sealer to the tiles until they are wet in appearance and allow to work for 15 minutes.
- Make sure that all puddles of the sealer are evenly distributed and are not puddling/drying in one spot. If the product is still on the surface of the tile after 30 minutes, wipe away the excess with a dry cloth and ensure that the tiles are fully dry
Lithofin’s various sealers are specifically made for different stone types:
Use Lithofins quick guide to find out what you can use in glance!